CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Eggplant

Ok, I must admit to a certain fasination with eggplant. I like the color, the shape, the fact that I never ate this vege before Steve took me for Chinese eggplant with brown sauce. It is one of my favorites. When I was newly wed I would buy an eggplant, excited about what I would do with it...only to have it rot in my fridge.

Well I now have a yummy eggplant, super easy, mega delish recipe... Do you have an eggplant recipe to share with me?

Light Eggplant Parmesan

Use light and low-fat cheeses to make this eggplant Parmesan recipe low in fat and calories.
Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Ingredients:
1 large eggplant, cut in 1/4-inch slices
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
dash of garlic powder (optional)
1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano, crumbled
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce (I used chopped canned tomatoes)
4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (I used shredded combo cheese)
1/4 cup Italian seasoned bread crumbs

Preparation:Bring large kettle of water to a boil; remove from heat. Drop in eggplant slices; let stand 5 minutes. Drain eggplant slices; blot dry with paper toweling. Heat oil in nonstick skillet; brown eggplant on both sides. In a bowl, combine Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano and tomato sauce. Spread a little tomato sauce mixture over the bottom of a 9-inch square shallow baking dish. Arrange eggplant sliced in layers with mozzarella cheese. Pour remaining sauce mixture over the eggplant and cheese; top with bread crumbs.Bake eggplant Parmesan at 350° for 50 minutes, or until bubbly. (I cooked for 30 minutes at 450°)

Even Steve liked it!

1 comment:

Amrena Skye said...

How funny - Eggplant Parm. is on my Meal Plan for tonight! I will use this recipe : )