CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 20, 2008

Onions and Orchids

Anna graciously hosted about 15 lovely young women to learn about home making skills and specifically meal planning and preparation. She provided skads of recipes and then she made lots of recipes with us so we could watch and learn and taste what the end result should be.

I can only say wow to the potatoes and gravy. Last night I whipped up her garlic mashed potatoes and might I just encourage everyone to give these a try. This was my own adaptation since I used what I had on hand.

For every potato add one garlic clove to the salted water to bowl, add a touch of sugar.
I did not peel my red potatoes as I want the fiber in the skins
Your one inch cubes are done when a fork can easily tear them apart.
Leave the potatoes, drain on low heat to allow evaporation of moisture so that the potatoes are fluffy rather than gummy.
Melt butter, 1 Tablespoon per potatoe and milk in a sause pan. Add seasoning like chives or season salt and pepper...
When no steam rises from the potatoes mush with potatoe musher, then add the milk/butter mixture and whip until the desired consistency.

Ok, for gravy I used a "just add water" mix, but it was so tasty!

Anna also encouraged us to try fish. Fish, especially salmon, have never been my friend. She made Salmon that literally melted in your mouth. This is the first time that I have understood why people rave about Salmon. Everytime I have tried it, it has been dry or too strong, or just plain yucky. I am going to give this recipe a try.

Anna used a tad of sugar in her veges to ramp up the flavor. She also made chicken, and pork chops in a crock pot. She made other things and it was amazing to watch. How fun to see this process in action.

One of the principles she uses in her style of cooking is to have about 30 tried and true recipes that her family loves. And primarily that is what she uses to cook. She will once in a while try something new, but she cooks what they love and everyone is happy. Secondly, some of the recipes are more suited to company. These she has worked on for presentation and more fancy flavors. A third principle she has incorporated is Make your good, better, then your better your best and then be content.

I further appreciated her reminder to start dinner early so when the king walks in the door, you are not frantically running around trying to get things done.

No comments: